Mariam Alarab (b.1989) is a Bahraini, self-taught documentary photographer. In her work, Mariam explores and draws inspiration from her identity, her journey, personal history, her surroundings, and culture.
Mariam’s process is centered around the conscious observation, research and sensitive and thoughtful treatment of her subjects. She is very passionate about uncovering new perspectives and bringing them to light, as well as the path of self-discovery and understanding.
Awards, Grants, and Nominations
- Mar 2018 Nominated for the Joop Swart Masterclass, World Press Photo.
- Jan 2016 Al Dana First Prize – Bahrain 42nd Annual Fine Art Exhibition, Bahrain.
- Mar 2017 [Media]tion, Mawane second cultural season – Juffair, Bahrain.
- Mar 2016 Views art exhibition – The Ritz-Carlton, Bahrain.
- Apr 2015 Vantage – Al Riwaq art space, Bahrain.
- Feb 2018 Developing your personal and long-term projects, Tanya Habjouqa – Dubai, UAE.
- Jan 2017 Do you trust me?, Peter Bialobrzeski – Bahrain.
- Nov 2016 Do you trust me?, Stefan Stark and Julia Baier – Bahrain.
- Oct 2016 Creative Documentary, Carolyn Drake – Sharjah, UAE.
- Mar 2014 How to define your photography style?, Louis-Cyprien Rials – Bahrain.
- Feb 2014 Up close and personal, Ghada Khunji – Bahrain.
- Feb 2018 Slidefest at Gulf Photo Plus – Dubai, UAE.