Mariam Alarab is a documentary photographer based in Bahrain. Through her work, she seeks to interrogate existing and historical narratives and present them in nonlinear, disrupted way.
Mariam’s areas of focus include connection between culture, politics, history and environment. Her practice blends collaboration with people and communities, and immersion in place and landscapes.
Mariam spent her early childhood in Damascus, Syria before moving back to Bahrain in 2001. In 2019 She was selected for the Arab documentary photography program supported by Prince Clause fund and Magnum Foundation.
Awards, Grants, and Nominations
- Mar 2018 Nominated for the Joop Swart Masterclass, World Press Photo.
- Jan 2016 Al Dana First Prize – Bahrain 42nd Annual Fine Art Exhibition, Bahrain.
- Mar 2017 [Media]tion, Mawane second cultural season – Juffair, Bahrain.
- Mar 2016 Views art exhibition – The Ritz-Carlton, Bahrain.
- Apr 2015 Vantage – Al Riwaq art space, Bahrain.
- Feb 2018 Developing your personal and long-term projects, Tanya Habjouqa – Dubai, UAE.
- Jan 2017 Do you trust me?, Peter Bialobrzeski – Bahrain.
- Nov 2016 Do you trust me?, Stefan Stark and Julia Baier – Bahrain.
- Oct 2016 Creative Documentary, Carolyn Drake – Sharjah, UAE.
- Mar 2014 How to define your photography style?, Louis-Cyprien Rials – Bahrain.
- Feb 2014 Up close and personal, Ghada Khunji – Bahrain.
- Feb 2018 Slidefest at Gulf Photo Plus – Dubai, UAE.